

Growing up, making tea consisted of hot water in tea kettle that 'whistled' and a tea bag - usually Lipton. If things were really 'fancy' then we might have chamomile or mint or some other Celestial tea bag around to use. Making tea was special even then because my Grandmother rarely sat down to have a glass of tea. I noticed that if I suggested having a cup of tea, she did not mind at all and relished that idea of a break. Maybe what she found joy in was the simple act of an invitation of a granddaughter to spend time with her, maybe it was the moment in time of realizing she was also a person who was valued. I know I always got a wonderful story about her childhood in Maine when we did this - I really was after the story and not the tea. How often do we invite our loved ones to sit and share much or anything anymore? Most families have to remind their children to eat at the table these days - I plead the fifth on busy evenings to that as well.
In our home, when my nineteen year old daughter requests tea, there is love added to this morning cup of liquid gold for her. Her version of making tea is an Indian Chai Tea - homemade, not from a carton bought in the natural food area of a grocery store. Here is the recipe:
INDIAN CHAI TEA
As you can see, this is a thirty minute or so morning activity. On a day that I have to work, it is a feat to mix in one more thing to the morning. However, I know this means something to my daughter and she knows enough not to ask if I am FRAZZLED. Though I never had this tea growing up, I was fascinated when I had people tell me about 'learning' to make tea. When they described the tea, I knew I had to try as well. It is now a tradition for the two of us and I have no doubt that when she spreads her wings and leaves our home one day, she will remember these mornings of having a fresh, hot mug of spiced tea and wish of a day full of success and happiness. I know when she returns on vacations (or from events that might have taken a turn for the worse) that I can make this tea for her and it will bring back some innocence of simpler times.
I hope that this tea and remembering to place moments of gratitude and lovingkindness in my day will keep my life a little less ordinary and more memorable in her eyes.
In our home, when my nineteen year old daughter requests tea, there is love added to this morning cup of liquid gold for her. Her version of making tea is an Indian Chai Tea - homemade, not from a carton bought in the natural food area of a grocery store. Here is the recipe:
INDIAN CHAI TEA
- Fill a stainless tea/boiling pot 3/4 of the way with water (about 8 cups)
- Put in the following: 2 cinnamon sticks, 15-17 cloves & 15-17 green cardamom pods
- Put on the stove to boil on high for 20 minutes
- Reduce the heat to medium-low
- Fill until almost full with milk (about 1 - 1 1/2 cups)
- Add four teaspoons of sugar (I use organic cane, unrefined or honey)
- Stir until sugar is dissolved with a wooden spoon
- Leave on the medium-low heat for ten minutes
- Get 4-5 teabags (I LOVE to use loose black tea instead but know most do not have this on hand) and cut off the strings so they can seep in the milky-water brew
- After ten minutes has passed, turn the burner off and leave the tea bags to steep for 5-7 minutes
- Drain the tea and serve
- You can refridgerate any leftover tea and have some Ice Chai to go later
As you can see, this is a thirty minute or so morning activity. On a day that I have to work, it is a feat to mix in one more thing to the morning. However, I know this means something to my daughter and she knows enough not to ask if I am FRAZZLED. Though I never had this tea growing up, I was fascinated when I had people tell me about 'learning' to make tea. When they described the tea, I knew I had to try as well. It is now a tradition for the two of us and I have no doubt that when she spreads her wings and leaves our home one day, she will remember these mornings of having a fresh, hot mug of spiced tea and wish of a day full of success and happiness. I know when she returns on vacations (or from events that might have taken a turn for the worse) that I can make this tea for her and it will bring back some innocence of simpler times.
I hope that this tea and remembering to place moments of gratitude and lovingkindness in my day will keep my life a little less ordinary and more memorable in her eyes.

I had no idea there was such a process to making proper tea. Thanks for following my blog! I'm following yours in return. Have a blessed day, Jackie
ReplyDeleteSo glad you liked the queso fresco recipe! It is one of our favorite cheeses around here. I use it in place of just about any cheese. So glad to have met another military wife. Thank you husband for us and also Thanks for YOUR service. It is just as important as his :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Jackie